Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Mouse House Village

Happy New Year!
Praying everyone a healthy and blessed new year. :)
I have made some goals for this year; for both work and outside work...but main thing is going outside my comfort zone, trusting God. There are many things I have been shy away in my attitude in past, and I would like to make my effort to "reach out" more this year! :D 
As far as my own art, one of things I would like to do is to try my hands on different medium. Last year, one of my Japanese friends came to Hawaii and wanted to teach me Polymer clay. I was always curious about this versatile medium and wanted to try one day, so I gratefully accepted her offer. I alway enjoy to learn new thing! I made two little mice and have been dreaming about how to incorporate this fun medium into making picture book 3D illustration somehow... someday...I love these process...anything is possible.


So when I heard about "The Mouse House Village" I was so excited to visit. Yesterday, I finally had that opportunity to go with my cartoonist friend. It was a wooden, hand-crafted, miniature creation by beloved island paiter and Kona resident Martha L. Greenwell. Assembled more than 30 years ago, a miniature Christmas village is on display at the Isaacs Art Center at Hawai'i Preparatory Academy through January 5, 2012. 
I was so fascinated by the artist' cares and love for the smallest details, like mouse artists' art materials! Like Jill Barklem who created such a detailed illustration world of mice family, these artists surely have kindred spirits :) Though her realistic oil paintings have completely different mood and atmosphere I now interested in viewing them as well. I enjoyed this visit... which surely inspired me to keep creating my art "with love"...that Greenwell did whole life in Hawai'i.





The Isaacs Art Center is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday
For information, call 808-885-5884